Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dinner For Three Please

Like I promised, I made dinner for my mom, brother, and myself yesterday. It was something the three of us hadn't had in a long time. I didn't tell them what I was making because I wanted it to be a surprise, and yes it definitely was. They really loved the Spinach Stuffed Shells I made for them. I do believe I mentioned, if I didn't I will again, I do eat some cheeses. They have to be ones I like- as in fat free or reduced fat (they are just healthier for you!) shredded cheese, some "creamy" cheeses like ricotta, and only some that you would eat in a cheese tray like smoked Gouda. I really only like them melted, other wise I stay away from cheese, it is just not my favorite food. Well I made the stuffed shells with brown rice pasta, fresh spinach, and a tomato sauce that I doctored up. So here is the dinner:


Brown Rice Spinach Stuffed Shells

1 15 or 16 oz container ricotta cheese

1 16 oz bag fresh spinach
1 8oz box of brown rice pasta shells

1 can no added salt tomato sauce
1 2 cup bag of 4 cheese Italian Cheese blend

2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon oil
1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
2 teaspoons arrowroot powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bowl a water in a big pot. Heat oil in a saute pan over medium high heat.

Add spinach to saute pan and wilt and add in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

In a sauce pan, add the tomato sauce, along with the oregano, coriander, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon onion powder.

Let sauce simmer to develop flavors. After the sauce has simmered for 10 to 15 minutes, add in the parsley.

Add the pasta to bowling water and cook according to package directions (the brand was for 18 minutes).

In a medium sized bowl, place the ricotta cheese, 1/2 of the shredded cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the xanthum gum, arrowroot (if you eat eggs you do not have to use the xanthum gum or arrowroot because you can just add in 1 egg), and the spinach.

After the pasta is cooked, drain and rinse with cold water.

Place 1/4 cup or so of the sauce in the bottom of a baking dish, one that will fit the amount of pasta you wish to make, I used a 9 inch square pan.

Now start to fill the pasta with a tablespoon or so of the cheese filling.

I placed the shells face up in the pan because the shells aren't as big as usual (as in other brands) other wise place the shells open side down. Fill up the pasta and continue to place in the pan.

Top with remaining sauce and

the rest of the cheese. Bake 20 to 30 minutes,

until cheese is nice a browned on top. Enjoy!

It was nice to actually cook something again, like really cook. I know my other dinners are just usually fast get something cooked so I can eat meals, but this was satisfying and I missed meals like this. And I love, love, love browned bubbly cheese!! It is sooo good!! this filled me up just right.

That is it for now, except here was my breakfast today plums and pecans:
and a few black grapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment