Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

That Time of the Year

Happy Valentine's Day!!

I cannot believe it is February 14th already. Another Valentine's Day has come upon us and I hope you all are having a wonderful one. As we know this day is usually flooded with chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate recipes. Well I am switching things up this year! I do not have a chocolate recipe for you, no, I have something even better...veggies...haha. I'm not lying though. For real I put veggies in my recipe.

Orange Carrot Cupcakes

2 cups whole wheat white flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
2 tablespoons flaxmeal
1 tablespoon chia seeds (can omit)
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1 cup orange juice (if fresh with zest)
1 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup water or 1/2 cup oil

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 12 cup cupcake pan with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners.

Combine the flaxmeal, chia seeds, and 2 tablespoon of water, set aside to gel up.

Mix the flour, baking powder and soda,  coconut, salt and spices together.

Add in the carrots, sugar, flaxmeal/chia "egg", and the orange juice. If the batter is too thick add in more water. If you want to use the oil add it in with the above ingredients and the batter will be just fine.

Divided among the cupcake pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, turning the pan halfway through baking.

For the frosting I used coconutmana (coconut butter) with some red food dye to make it pink. I found this all natural, veggie based food dye at Whole Foods on sale back in December. My original purpose for purchasing it was to make vegan seven layer cookies for Christmas, but never got around to making it. So Valentine's Day frosting is my first use of it.

Well enjoy your day with your loved one, friends, and dates =]

<3

enjoy this little song

(not the best version but I couldn't find anything better)

No comments:

Post a Comment