Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chili!!!

I am really rather sorry that I have not posted anything in a long time.

The short explanation is that I was very busy with work and just never had time to even check my email, but now I have a newer job with more time for myself.

So today I have for you my vegetarian chili recipe. You are going to need to make sure your spice rack is well stocked for this recipe. I use all different types of beans, peppers, and vegetables. Most of the time I just use red/kidney, black, and pinto beans, and lots of peppers and corn. Sometimes I may add mushrooms or zucchini, but this time I used peppers of all sorts of colors and both small and large kidney beans. This is it:

Vegetarian Chili


1 large (each) green, red, yellow, and orange peppers, diced
            (I also used 2 small purple peppers)
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 cans of no added salt corn, drained and rinsed
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can small red kidney beans
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice, I use fresh and I use the zest
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder (even though it has fresh, it added a different flavor)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
Water to cover, this will depend on how much veggies you have added

Heat oil in a dutch oven or the largest pot you have over medium high heat. Add the onion and sweat (if you do not know this means realising the liquid from the vegetable and not letting it brown), until the onion is translucent.

Add in the peppers and garlic allowing  them saute until the vegetables become soft about 5-8 minutes.

Time to add all of the spices, just let them heat up to have them become aromatic. Mix in the tomato paste and let it cook for a minute. Add in the lemon juice and all of the beans.

Mix to coat the beans with the spices and veggies. Add in water to just come to the top of the veggies.

Bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat to low. Allow the chili to simmer for hours!

After two hours add in the corn.
If it is too thick add in more water. If it is too thin for your liking add in more tomato paste. You can eat the chili at any time you wish but the longer it cooks the better it gets.
Yummy!





No comments:

Post a Comment