Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Grape or Strawberry?

Jelly that is.

I have been craving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for the longest time. So I decided to give into the craving. I like my pb and j on rye bread, with caraway seeds! Yum! I ended my last post stating I was going to make bread and that is what I did. A nice loaf of rye bread so I could have my samich!

Rye Bread


2 cups rye flour
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup molasses
5 tablespoons smart balance buttery spread
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons caraway seeds (or even more in my case)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup luke warm water
2 cups bread flour
4-4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon oil

The cookbook I got this recipe from had a note stating to toast the caraway seeds before you add them into the dough, so I tried it.

Mix the rye flour, boiling water, molasses, smart balance, salt, caraway seeds, and onion in a large bowl. Leave it to cool.

In a measuring cup, mix the 1/2 cup water and the yeast.

Add the yeast into the rye flour mixture.

Then add in the 2 cups of bread flour.

Once incorporated slowly add in the whole wheat flour. You are not going to be able to add in all of the whole wheat flour in the bowl.

When a stiff dough starts to form, remove it from the bowl and onto a well floured board, where you are going to add in the rest of the flour by kneading it into the dough.

You will know when it the dough is right when it is not sticking to your hands anymore and it feels tight.

Then place it in a bowl that has the oil in it. Coat the dough with the oil, cover it and let it rise until doubled in size, about an hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Punch down the dough and then place it in an oiled loaf pan.

Let it rise for about 30 minutes.

Cut slits in the top and then place it in the oven and bake for a hour, turn it half way through baking. You will know when it is done by tapping the bottom of the bread and it sounds hollow.

Cool on a rack. Slice and then eat!

So back to my question grape or strawberry jelly?

I made one half of my sandwich with grape jelly and the other with strawberry. I always thought I was a strawberry fan, but well the grape sang hit the spot today.

So I am embarrassed to admit this but my bread did not come out that great. I rushed the baking time and it was not all the way done inside. I didn't want to waste my bread, so I ripped it up, toasted it at 400 degrees for 20 or 30 minutes until it is nice and toasty. What I then did with the toasted bread crumbs, was eat some along with my brother, put some aside for later use, and then made a "bake." I sauteed some spinach with black olives, made a vegan bechamel sauce by heating oil in a sauce pan adding whole wheat white flour, then I added some dried mustard powder, nutritional yeast, salt pepper, and onion powder. Then I slowly added water to that and let it thicken. Add in a touch of grated nutmeg. Pour that over the bread. Then I mushed half into the bottom of a greased 9 inch square pan. Topped it with the spinach, the rest of the bread and baked it for 20 minutes. I then made it more of a vegetarian bake by topping it with some provolone cheese and then continued to bake it for another 30 minutes and let the cheese get browned and bubbly. I can't wait to have it for dinner tomorrow.

If it comes out good I'll add measurements of ingredients so you can try it too.

My answer is grape I guess.

Also the rank for the cuppy cakes are as follows: spiced, creamsicle, spicy chocolate, and  the peanut butter. The taste test was done by myself, my mom, and my brother, two of my most reliable taste testers!

What's next on the list...

No comments:

Post a Comment