Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Trail Mix In Cookie Form

Who could beat that, or pass them up. These are something I have made many variations of before, but this version is probably my best ones yet. When I usually make these I add in anything that I have in my pantry, such as dried cherries, dried blueberries, sunflower seeds, any nuts, coconut, and the key that I absolutely love is almond extract. This time around I also made them gluten free! Awesome!

Trail Mix Cookies

1 1/4 cup spelt flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1 cup oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon arrowroot
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon flax seed meal
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon chopped dried cherries
1/2 cup dried cranberries, fruit juice sweetened
1/2 cup coconut, unsweetened
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 tablespoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
if necessary extra water (1 tablespoon)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place wax paper on baking sheets. Combine the flax meal and water together.

Mix all of the dry ingredients- flours to baking soda. Then add in all of the mix-ins, the cherries, cranberries, seeds, and coconut.
In another bowl mix the oil, agave, applesauce, extracts, and flax mixture.

Add the wet to the dry.

Combine until well mixed, you may need to add a little more water if there is too much flour in the bottom of the bowl.

Form into cookies. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, turning the pan half way through baking, until they are golden browned and don't feel soft when touched.

They have a nice almond flavor to them that is really good. You can add in nuts if you like, also feel free to use any other dried fruit and seeds you would like. But staying true to trail mix keep the coconut in there, also the nutmeg is the secret weapon. It is a hidden gem in many recipes that people can never quite distinguish in the food they eat. Like in a white bechmel sauce, apple pie, and taste grate on carrots, and it is the secret spice in my new favorite breakfast.

Which is this granola cereal I have been obsessed with recently. I don't know if you remember one of my other breakfast I showed you all my apple crisp for breakfast: Pudding Pie. This granola is like the granola I make for the "crisp" topping. Here is my quick recipe:

Breakfast Granola

1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon flaxseeds
1 tablespoon vegan "butter" (I use smart balance light)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon hot water

Mix the dry ingredients together.

Add in the butter, mush (aka cut) it into the dry mix.

Add the maple syrup and water. You may need a tad bit more water to make the mixture a stiff dough.

Crumble it on to pan and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes.

This taste great on fresh fruit, especially bananas! So yummy.

I just wanted to share with you one of my favorite (this post is full of a lot of my favorites, done unintentionally of course) summer time dinners. A quick curry, which really only has curry powder added to it. I use a premixed curry blend (McCormick makes one that I enjoy) and saute any type of veggie, but the most important veggie that makes this my summer time dinner is green beans from my garden. The best. This is the first time I made it this year because I finally got some green beans from the garden. I called this curry Green and Golden Curry.

It had golden beets, yellow carrots, and yellow and orange grape tomatoes (also from my garden).  Yum.

Up next? Hum...

No comments:

Post a Comment