Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pan De Cinco Granos

AKA 5 grain bread, I just thought it sounded cooler saying it in spanish, even though the bread is not spanish in any way shape or form. I wanted to redeem myself from my last attempt at making bread, so i gave it another go around. This time though I did not have any rye flour, so I improvised with my large pantry full of various flours- spelt, brown rice, oats, whole wheat, and tried to make quinoa flour, but that didn't work out to hot. But I still used it anyway.

I used to same method to make this bread as the rye bread recipe. I added hot boiling water to the quinoa to par cook it so it wouldn't be too hard to eat.


5 grain bread

1 cup oat flour (I made this myself by grinding it in the food processor)
1/2 cup quinoa "flour" (it is in quotes because I tried to grind it in the food processor but it didn't grind fully, but the texture ended up being great. You can always use real quinoa flour or flakes)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons vegan "butter" (smart balance)
2 tablespoons onion powder/ granulated onion
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup hot water (boiling hot)

Combine the yeast and the 1 cup warm water.

Mix the hot water with the quinoa, onion, molasses, and the smart balance and then allow it to cool down a bit. 

Add in the oat, brown, and spelt flours along with the yeast/water mixture. Add in the bread flour. Then combine in the whole wheat flour until the dough comes together enough to start to knead it. 

Pour out onto a floured board and knead for about 10 minutes until it becomes a smooth dough. 

Place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth,and let it rise for 1 hour.

Punch down dough and cut into rolls or you can make one loaf. 

To make rolls, cut the dough (using a dough cutter) into 12 equal portions and either make round rolls (I flattened them out a bit) or long rolls. Brush the tops with a little bit of oil, place plastic wrap on top, and let it rise for about 30 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped. Place on a cooling rack to let cool, enjoy!

(This is the inside of the roll, look at how rich[in grains] the roll is.)
The bread came out way better than my other loaf. And tasted just as good, even as a pb and j sang!
(Those are apples, some with cinnamon sprinkled on top.)

I'm still working on a few different recipes for my next posts...so until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment