Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Summer Time = BBQ

And Barbecue Sauce!

What to do with extra bbq sauce? That is the question. On Memorial Day I made a batch of vegan barbecue sauce to go with my portabella mushrooms, corn on the cob, and cucumbers. It was really good, something I was not anticipating. I have made bbq sauce before, but this was just for me because it didn't have refined sugars or other processed type items. (I'm talking about ketchup or mustard.) This was a recipe I had found on an agave nectar brands website that sounded good to me and it is incredibly easy to make. Here it is:

My BBQ Sauce

1 8oz can of tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup molasses
1/8 cup agave nectar
1/8 cup tamari
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (or one clove minced garlic)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
12 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika

Place everything in the blender and blend it all together, if it is too thick add a few splashes of water until it becomes the viscosity you want


So what to do with all this extra sauce? Well before I became a vegetarian I use to make this salad with bbq chicken, lettuce, apples, carrots, and cucumbers with a dressing of more bbq sauce. So I thought to myself, self why not make a salad kind of like that. And that is exactly what I did. This time I used chick peas instead of chicken and added some corn that I sliced off the cob. 

Another future use of the bbq sauce shall be pizza! Barbecue pizza that is, grilled crust,  grilled toppings, oh so good! But until I get around to that...

I had typed up two other posts but didn't post them because the recipes they contained did not turn out blog worthy, I will tweak the recipes and post them at a later date. 

Also, this breakfast I made on Monday looked great so I wanted to share it with all of you.

I love fresh fruit like you can't even imagine! Fresh cherries are so good! My next plan with those cherries is a dessert fruit salad. I want cherries and chocolate! Yup until next time... (and I'll get working on those unposted recipes so they can be shared!)

No comments:

Post a Comment