Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What To Eat With...

Plantains?

How about some homemade guacamole?

Or how about some black bean hummus?

Heck why not both.

I made my own plantain chips, baked of course. Very simple to do, too. I like to shop at the Asian Food Market near my house. They have great prices, awesome variety, and I find it amusing to shop there. The plantains have been 2 for $1, so every time I have gone I picked some up. Here is how I make my chips:

Plantain Chips

2 yellow plantains
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (You may want to spray your pan with nonstick spray so the chips don't stick too much.)
Slice the plantains about 1/8 inch thick.

Toss with oil, pepper, and salt.

Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes on one side.

Flip them over and bake for another 10 minutes. (oh do watch them, they burn easily, or is that just me? I burn a lot of things, don't I.)

Now time for the easy guacamole (sorry no pictures of this but do you really need them?) take avocados and lemon juice and black pepper. Easy! I don't like all those extra things people add to there guacamole like onions and tomatoes. It takes away from the delicious avocado taste. And last but not least:

Black Bean Hummus

1 can black beans, rinsed
1 tablespoon tahini (If you have black sesame seeds you could make your own black tahini but I didn't and I do have the black sesame seeds)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
zest of one lemon
1/4 cup parsley

Place the black beans, tahini, spices, and lemon juice in a food processor.

Blend until smooth. Add in the parsley, blend.

Simple. Now eating time!!

I halved some grape tomatoes, and plated up. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment