Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Baking Time

I'm not sure exactly why I stopped baking for sometime now, but don't worry I feel the urge to get back into it. I am really excited to share some recipes with you. They have been in my head for awhile now, I just haven't had the time to actually make them and see how they work.

I finally used my large donut pans!!! Super excited about this!! (The little things in life make me happy.) I have been craving a kind of weird combination for some time now, well ever since I made my "fruit cake" for Christmas- cinnamon <3 and orange. Is that a strange combo? I'm not sure orange spice, nah there are teas like that. My plan was to make it into a donut! I know sounds great to me too. And they are. My only hold up was the glaze/icing that needs to top a donut. I was planning on making an agave icing I had used on a cupcake a while back but couldn't find soy milk powder. There is this stuff, coconut butter actually, that I have been wanting to try, so why not try it as my icing? I did just that, but more about it after I share the donut recipes. Yes there are two!! I also made a carob donut, which was better than I had imagined it would be. Odd. Donuts!!

Cinnarange Donuts

1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanathum gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1 tablespoon flaxmeal

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray donut pan with nonstick spray.

Combine the oj, zest, and flaxmeal.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together.

Add in the oj.

Place in a zippy bag and cut off one of the corners of the bag so you can pipe the donuts (this is so much easier and cleaner than another other way to fill the pans, trust me).
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

Cool on cooling rack in pan for a few minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely.

Carob Donuts

1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup carob powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
1 tablespoon flaxmeal
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray donut pan with nonstick spray.

Combine the flaxmeal and 1 tablespoon of water.

Mix the dry ingredients together.

Add in the applesauce, flax "egg", and the 1/4 cup of water.

Place batter in a plastic zippy bag. Cut off one of the corners of the bag so you can pipe the batter into the pan.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
Cool on a cooling rack on the pan for a few minutes, than remove and cool completely.

Icing time!

Coconut manna by Nutiva is what I used. You are more than welcome to make your own coconut butter but this being my first time experiencing it I decided to stick to store bought. You just need to follow the directions on the label, which is to place the jar in hot water so you can stir the oil into the coconut meat because the oil separates from it. Coconut butter is just ground up coconut meat. It becomes spreadable so it is like "butter." And all I did was let it sit in the hot water, stir to combine the oil and meat, then drizzled over the donuts. It also hardens somewhat so it is like real icing.

Devour your donuts.

Yay!

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment