Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Bread Pudding Anyone?

Before I get to the bread pudding, I made some soup today for dinner.
What's For Dinner
Wednesday, December 8th
Tomato, Mushroom, Zucchini, Spinach, and Garbanzo bean soup- it also has artichoke hearts and black olives. I used fire roasted tomatoes and kitchen basics vegetable broth. It was yummy.

And now for the pudding of bread:
I decided to make this because I had some muffins that I wasn't eating, so I wanted to use them up. This is a soy milk based dish, but if you can't do the soy use regular cow's milk or rice milk, almond milk would also all be fine. There are no eggs and such in a vegan bread pudding, so I used xanathum gum in place of them. I had oatmeal raisin muffins and pumpkin muffins. Both had bananas in them and were delicious as they were, I just wasn't eating them fast enough. They were both also spiced up nicely where I didn't add the cinnamon that the recipe calls for in the custard. So here it is...

Bread Pudding
9-10 cups of bread
3 cups soy milk, unsweetened plain
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons xanathum gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon date sugar (or normal white refined sugar or other sugar you use)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Spray a 13x9in pan with nonstick spray.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix milk, vanilla, maple syrup, salt, xanatham gum, and spices.

Add in the bread and combine.

Place in sprayed pan.
Combine the date sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle on top.

Cover the pan with plastic wrap and then foil. Bake for 45 minutes covered.
Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees, take of the foil and plastic wrap and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown, nicely caramelized on top.

Enjoy with some soy whip!

No comments:

Post a Comment