Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Winter=Soup

Sunday was a soup day for sure. Winter is hitting very hard- as in it's rather cold outside. I love soup- making it, eating it, and all the good stuff that goes along with soup. That warm feeling as you eat it in your belly. Yum! 

I told you that I would be making a soup with some of that roasted corn so I did just that on Sunday- Roasted Red Pepper & Corn Bisque. Next time I make it I think I need to add some more spices to it because it came out good but not as delicious as I would have hoped. I added cayenne pepper and coriander to my soup bowl, so next time I will add them in when I add in the flour.  The soup needed more depth of flavor, I think I will also add some cumin to give it that earthy taste. So here it the recipe:


Roasted Red Pepper & Corn Bisque
2 red peppers
1 shallot, fine dice
1/2 cup roasted corn kernels
1 teaspoon flour
1 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or stock
1/2 cup soy milk
(cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin- spices I plan to add next time I make it)
3 springs fresh parsley

First, roast the red peppers. 
I do this over the flame on the stove top. 
Some people do it in the oven, but I prefer to see the skin burning to know when it is done. 
Place the charred peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. This is to make it easier to remove the skin. 
Heat a pot over medium high heat, with oil and then add in the shallots. (I used shallots in this to give the soup a hint of garlic and onion, that is what a shallot is a mix of.) 
Caramelize the shallots to add to the roasted flavor of the soup. 
Remove the skin from the peppers, by peeling off the charred skin. Then open the pepper and take out all of the seeds and white ribs of the peppers. 
Place in the food processor and puree the peppers.  
Add the flour, salt and pepper (also add in spices if using) to the shallots and cook for 1 minute. 
Add the stock to the pot and let it thicken. 
Then add the soy milk and the pepper puree. If it is too thick, add more stock. 
Add in the corn. Bring to a simmer and let cook to develop flavors. 
Before serving, add in some chopped parsley. 

Here are the past couple What's For Dinner?
Wednesday, January 5th
Pear salad with spinach, toasted almonds, jicama, dried cranberries, and honey ginger dressing.

Thursday, January 6th
Sauteed spinach, mushrooms, green beans, and roasted cashews. I added salt, pepper, coriander, and fennel seeds.

Friday, January 7th
Butternut squash platskis with toasted pecans and my crangrape sauce (from Thanksgiving- I froze small amounts of it for occasions such as this) I wasn't crazy about this dinner, I thought it would be a good combo- the sauce and he butternut but the sauce over powered the meal.

Saturday, January 8th
Red quinoa with roasted beets and beet greens. I just found out that qunioa is in the same family as spinach and beets. I never knew why this meal always tasted to good to me, but now I know- thanks Giada. 

Sunday, January 9th
Soup!!

Monday, January 10th
Sweet potato platski's with cinnamon applesauce and toasted hazelnuts. 

I will soon have some more time to cook and create new things due to some free time I will be gaining because I quit my baking job. So more recipes to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment