Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

A Few Of My Favorite Things

Ok. I know I have been neglecting my postages-ness recently, but I just haven't felt that I have post worthy recipes. I have been making a few things a lot lately that have become my new favorite things.

First up is sweet potato falafel with the fennel cashew cream sauce and tomatoes.

I love roasted curry spiced veggies such as parsnips and carrots. Add in some green beans and tomatoes from my garden, heaven! I have also curry roasted some butternut squash from my garden and next I am going to add a sweet potato to the mix. I have been on such a curry kick recently its scary. Well actually tasty in my belly maybe not so much for the families noses. (Sorry I don't have a picture of my recent curry dishes.)

Corn on the cob have been a staple every week. I usually get some from the farmers market, one farm in particular because the corn is so sweet and yea, I love corn on the cob.

I really have been liking taco salads. All a taco salad is lettuce of your choice with salsa as a dressing, they loading up on taco filling goodness such as roasted corn, roasted (spiced with cumin, onion powder, coriander, oregano, and s&p) mushrooms and peppers, tomatoes, avocado, beans, roasted chick peas, the toppings are endless. Hey add some cheese if you wish. They are really yummy.

This is also another favorite salad like dinner that I have been loving. Mango, roasted peppers, black and green stuffed olives, tomatoes, avocado, and roasted chick peas with lemon basil.

And this is a dinner I had recently that was the strangest combination of food but came out to be good. Roasted beets, beet greens, roasted purple peppers, roasted corn, and tomatoes. Strange yes, but strangely yummy.

I have been really loving the raw brownie batter which is really just chocolate almond butter. This is really good, especially if you use the Hershey's special dark cocoa powder. That just adds such a deep chocolaty rich flavor. I have been loving it with fresh cherries and some white and dark chocolate chips, but just last night I had it with a banana, cacao nibs, and dark chocolate chips. That was also heavenly.

And I guess I do have a small recipe for you. My newest favorite ingredient to add to baked goods is coconut flour. I have used it before in making vegan frosting (some recipes from the Babycakes cookbook), but I have noticed the ingredient popping up all over the blog world recently. So I wanted to jump on the ban wagon. I came up with these Coconut Chewy Cookies. The only bad thing is that I haven't made a large batch of these. I have been on a small scale baking kick because I have been wanting to try other treats at night, so when I do want a cookie I make small batches. So the recipe I have to share is for only a few cookies and they are also gluten free.


Coconut Chewy Cookies

1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of cinnamon
1/4 cup grated coconut
1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries
1 teaspoon agave nectar (for sweeter cookies add more, 1 tablespoon)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place parchment paper on cookie sheet. Mix all of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix until a stiff dough forms. Shape into cookies, about a tablespoon of the dough. Place on cookie sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes, do not let them brown too much, they should be firm when touched.

They are crazy chewy and have a great coconut flavor.

I promise my next real recipe post will be farro butternut squash risotto. This week too!

No comments:

Post a Comment