Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Farrisotto

Farro + risotto= farrisotto

Simple math people. Good tasting also!

I was going to see two of my favorite girl friends for dinner and I enjoy cooking for all of us so I made us a new creation. That's me for ya. Always trying something different.

As you may remember I made one version of farro with butternut squash. This time I went all out and added tomatoes, artichokes, roasted shrooms and spinach, lots and lots of spinach. I had bought two bags at Stop & Shop the other day because it was buy one get one free. How could I resist. I love me those deals! Then comes the question, "What do I do with all of this spinach?" and that is always the harder part of the bargain. Especially being the only one to eat it. So dinner with the girls was a much needed affair and perfect option to use up my over abundance of spinach (or I was thinking spinach chips?).

They enjoyed it, as did I.

Spinach Tomato Farrisotto

2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon oil
1 1/4 cups farro
3 cups water or veggie broth
1 can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
1 bag fresh spinach
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 cup roasted mushrooms (i used baby bella with my usual seasonings: s&p, coriander, onion, and oregano)
1 large handful fresh parsley, chopped

Heat a large pot with oil over medium high heat. Add in the garlic and

allow to slightly brown.

Add in the farro and let it absorb the garlic oil and start to toast.

Add the tomatoes and water or broth.

Bring to a boil and keep it at a rolling boil for 15 to 20 minutes, until the farro is aldente and the water is absorbed.

Add in the nutritional yeast.

Slowly add in the spinach and mix until it wilts, about one large handful at a time about three times.

Add in the artichokes, mushrooms and parsley and lower heat to medium low.

And you are ready to serve once the artichokes and shrooms are warmed.

Feel free to top with more parsley, I was impatient and hungry and started to eat almost forgetting to take a picture. Also feel free to add in some beans like garbanzo for more of a protein boost.

Yum!

I'm thinking almond coconut donuts with a chocolate frosting, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment