Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Pizza Hummus!

Yes hummus that tastes like pizza.

Crazy I know but it really did remind me of pizza.

My cousin was around visiting and we wanted to hang out and he wanted to try some of my cooking. This gave me the chance to try out my take on the recipe for pizza hummus I had seen a while ago and pinned it to my pinterest. I have also been in a bread making mood so I made some herb flat bread to eat it on. I also have to give credit to my bf for the idea because ha has been wanting to make pizza hummus (like a real pizza but with hummus on it) for a while now, so soon babe we will make it together. The original recipe for the hummus can be found here: Once Upon a Cutting Board.

Pizza Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast

Place the beans and spices (not basil and oregano but the rest) into the food processor, processes to chop a little.

Add in the tahini, tomatoes, and nutritional yeast. Processes until smooth. Add in the herbs and if any more tomatoes need to  be added do so. (I did because I had only added 3 tablespoons of the tomatoes at first, then needed to add more and more garlic.)

I found that it had a strong garlic taste after I added some more in, but it was still really good for normal taste buds, for me it was strong. So you may want to add only 1/2 teaspoon each at first of the spices, then more after you taste it.

Herb Flat Bread

1 package of active dry yeast
1/2 cup water, warm
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon each onion and garlic powders, oregano and basil, salt and pepper

First mix the yeast and water together in a measuring cup.

In a bowl mix 1 cup of the flour and all the herbs and spices together.

Combine the yeast and flour mixtures together.

You may need to add in more flour, knead until a smooth dough forms.

Place in a bowl, coat with oil, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for 30 minutes.

Punch down,

on a floured board,

divide dough into 4 parts,

roll out, and place on parchment lined baking sheets.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake the flat bread for 20 to 30 minutes or until they start to bubble and are soft but not too soft when touched.

I also sauteed some kale and served carrots along with the spread for our lunch. I didn't get a picture of the finally table or way things came out because I am still a tad shy when it comes to taking pictures of my food when people are around, even if they are family it is still weird. It turned out to be a really great, fun, yummy time.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment