Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Tomato Soup!

Who doesn't love a good bowl of tomato soup...

Well maybe those suffering from heart burn don't really care for a bowl or maybe you do (like me and many people I know and love). We just can't resist the delicious tomatoeyness of a good bowl. I am not just talking about a bowl of Campbells Tomato Soup, don't get me wrong there isn't anything wrong with it I just happen to like chunks of tomato in my soup. I was never really a creamy soup person. Just the one texture bothers me a bit. I can eat a bowl of a creamed soup but I prefer some stuff in my soup. I use to eat Progresso Tomato Basil Soup a lot when I was first in college but I have upgraded myself into making my own. Yea!

So for this version I wanted to upscale it as well by adding some wine!! Yum!

Red wine and tomatoes, what could be better?

Adding some kale to the mix, yes that would be better in my book.

Tomato Kale Soup

3 cloves roasted garlic
1/4 cup red wine
1 large can of diced or chopped tomatoes in their juice or 2 small cans
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 to 1 cup chopped or torn kale
1/4 teaspoon each pepper, salt, oregano, and coriander
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast (optional)

To roast the garlic, I cut it into quarters, place it in foil drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with pepper. Wrap it up in the foil and roast 20 to 30 minutes or until soft and slightly browned.

In a soup pot, add in the garlic with any oil that comes out with it.

Heat it and mash it.

Add in the red wine and

let it reduce for 3 or 4 minutes.

Add in the tomatoes and broth.
Simmer for a 5 minutes.
Like my hand crafted splatter shield. haha

Remove from the stove and either in a food processor, blender, or using a hand blender, blend the soup so most or all of the chunks of tomatoes are gone.

Return to stove and bring to a simmer.

Add in the kale.

Add in the spices and

let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes to bring all the flavors together.

Serve it up with some grilled cheese sandwiches or top it with some cheese. How ever you like to enjoy your tomato soup please do.

I added some roasted tempeh and nutritional yeast to mine.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment