Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Millet's Not Just For the Birds

Ha I am truly becoming what my brothers have always told me I was- a bird. They would always make fun of the food I ate saying it looked like bird food, well I have now proved them right. But Hey lots of people (vegan and vegetarians everywhere) eat millet all the time. It is a gluten free grain, sweet like corn, and is great when combined with quinoa.

I've been wanting to play around baking with the grain, so finally did it. I've been a little crazy with the lemon berry flavor combo lately so I decided to make a twist on a berry corn bread that I have seen on a few blogs that I follow. Instead of corn I used millet and for the berries I used blackberries. Yum!!

Millet Lemon Blackberry Bread

2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 cups millet flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup fresh blackberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, prepare a 8x8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Add lemon extract to the mashed bananas and nutmeg.

Fold in all the dry ingredients, when almost combined add the berries.

Pour into the pan and bake for 30 minutes turning the pan halfway during baking.

It has a corn bread-esk taste and the way it crumbles. Love it!

I also tried this new "cheese" made from almonds:
It is actually really good. I made a salad with it. A type of salad I use to make all the time but just haven't in a long time. It had tomatoes, olives, parsley, sauteed onions, garbanzo beans, hearts of palm, and quartered artichokes and the cheese with some lemon juice as a dressing.

Love it all together and marinated over night!

No comments:

Post a Comment