Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Day of Cinnamon

As you all know, I adore the spice cinnamon with a passion. So why not eat it at every meal that I can. That is how I think at least. Today was one of those days. I made an apple pie for my family, so that was one cinnamon dish. The only reason the pie was just for the family is because I used butter in the crumb topping and my mom bought a frozen pie crust because she was going to make the pie herself. (Ha, sorry momma I love you but you know I would have been making some aspect of the pie in the end.) The second time cinnamon popped up today was in a new cookie that I am currently obsessed with, that I will be sharing with you all (the recipe) in this post, it is a Cinnamon Cashew Butter Cookie. And lastly cinnamon spiced up my dinner! Yes cinnamon for dinner!

Amazing day all in all.

So let's start with dinner first. I was searching some new blogs last night and found the recipe that I used at Oh She Glows. Cinnamon Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad. I added a few more spices and such to my dish to make it my own.

Cinnamon Sweet Tato Chickpea Salad

1 medium sweet potato, 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 can chickpeas, rinsed and deshelled (i remove that skin that is around the bean)
three layers of a 1/4 of an onion
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup fresh baby spinach

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (I used my toaster oven).

Place the sweet tato, onion, and chickpeas in a bowl. Add the spices, toss a little, add in the oil and coat evenly.

Place on pan and roast for 40 minutes.

Place spinach on a plate, top with roasted mixture.

You wouldn't think this would taste good, but surprisingly it was great. Next time I may leave out the onions, they just didn't really add much in my mind.

Now dessert!

Cinnamon Cashew Butter Cookies

1/2 cup cashew butter
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon arrowroot
1 cup almond meal
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup peanut butter chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the cashew butter, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla.

Add in the cinnamon, baking soda and powder, arrowroot, almond meal, flax meal, oats and salt.

Slowly add in the whole wheat flour 1/4 cup at a time, if using the chips add them now too.

Place tablespoon sized portions of the dough on the prepared pan.

Bake 20 minutes, turning the pan halfway through baking.

I love cinnamon! How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment