Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Take One

In my attempt at making overnight oats!

If you do not know what overnight oats are then you don't really read many blogs. They are a big thing in the food bloggers world. Some of the blogs I follow eat them a lot- Kath Eats Real Food, Oh She Glows, and many others in my list. So here is what overnight oats are: uncooked oats that soak in the fridge overnight and then eaten with little prep in the morning. I was a bit weary with eating uncooked oats, but they soak up the liquid that is added and in a weird way "cook." They absorb a lot of the liquid you add to them. You also need to add another binder type of ingredient like chia seeds or flaxseeds.

So most recipes I found called for milk or a milk substitute as the main liquid source. Me being good old me doesn't really enjoy milk in the morning. Don't ask why, I am just like that. So I choose to use apple cider that I bought when I went apple picking and water. My idea was to make apple pie overnight oats and that is exactly what I did!

Apple Pie Overnight Oats

1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons flaxmeal
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large apple
sprinkle of flaxseeds and extra cinnamon

The night before mix the water, apple cider, cinnamon, salt, flaxmeal, and the oats.

Place in a container and put in fridge.

Morning of, chop up the apple. To assemble start with some oats, top with a dash of cinnamon and some apples, then repeat and top with flaxseeds at the end.

Eat!

I was unsure if the oats were going to be sweet enough, but the cider did add enough sweetness. Also I had used 1/2 cup cider and 1/2 cup oats, but this was too much liquid, so I decreased in the recipe for all of you. If you want hot oats, add some boiling water once you are ready to eat. I also took my oats out of the fridge a half hour or so before I was ready to eat them. They smelled and tasted like a prepackaged, quick oats apple cinnamon flavored.

I am most definitely making some overnight oats again!

Oh an I forget what blog I was looking at but I saw the cutest chocolate covered strawberries! I made some of my own:

Owls!! Adorable! And yummy. The original used almonds for the wings and feet, but I did not have any on hand so pecans to the rescue! Love! I dipped the tips of the white chocolate chips into the melted chocolate and used a peanut butter chip for the beaks. I loved them! And my mom was very jealous, and yes I was mean and kept them all for myself <3 =]

No comments:

Post a Comment