Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pumpkin Love

I love pumpkin.

I love the fall.

Oh how I have missed this time of the year. Coolness, leaves turning beautiful colors, coats, boots, scarves, hats, gloves, sweaters, and the holidays!! Holiday baked goods <3, family, food, memories. I love this time of the year.

And back to pumpkin. Oh that reminds me I want to go apple picking! And pumpkin picking too. So back to pumpkin again, (I'm horrible at focusing today, sorry). I made pumpkin, I don't know exactly what I want to call them, they were a mix of perigoes and ravioli. I made them larger then a normal ravioli, but the filling was just pumpkin, no cheese involved. So what to call them...

Pumpkin Ragoies

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
extra flour
small dish filled of water

1/4 cup canned 100% pumpkin
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon each onion powder and coriander
1/8 teaspoon each salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg

1/2 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon oil
salt and pepper

1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
1/2 cup baby spinach and arugula mix

For the dough:

Mix the flour and salt.

Slowly add in small amounts of the water until a stiff dough is formed.

Set aside.

For the filling:

Mix the pumpkin with the nutritional yeast and the spices.


To make the ragoies:

Flour a board and a rolling pin. Cut the dough into 8 portions.

Roll out each portion into a somewhat circle.

Once all rolled out, place a tablespoon of the filling in the center of one side of the dough.

Using the small dish of water and your finger, brush water along the sides of the circle.

Fold over the other half of the dough and press down slightly to remove any air bubbles and to start to seal the edge.

Using a fork press down and seal the edges.

Place on floured parchment paper and in the fridge until ready to cook.

Caramelize onions:

Heat oil in a pan. Add in the onions and let them cook over medium heat. Add water to loosen any bits that stick while cooking.


To cook:

Heat a large pot with water until it comes to a boil.

Add in the ragoies. Once they float to the top, let them cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Drain.

Plate:

Put the spinach/arugula mix on a plate. Top with the warm ragoies so it starts to wilt the greens.

Top with the onions and hazelnuts.

Oh my gosh one of my most favorite meals ever! Seriously! Love! Pumpkin Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment