Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Potato-Tomato

What do potatoes and tomatoes have in common?

They were both in my dinner, how about yours?

That could of course be the only link between the two. Well in my head at least.

I told you all that I wanted to make blue potato gnocchi, and I have done just that. I also added some broccoli to the mix also just to complete the meal. 

The normal recipe for gnocchi calls for eggs, which I do not eat anymore, so I came up with the idea of "oo flax meal acts like eggs in some recipes, why not add that to the recipe and add some extra fiber while I am at it." Genius! I know. I had made some quick tomato sauce once for eggplant parm and froze the left overs in small portions for just a situation as this. I love planning ahead sometimes. Cook big batches, freeze portions, use later, that is my life.

Blue Potato Gnocchi


1 cup cubed potatoes, peeled (I was roasting the rest, so I just used the centers of a few potatoes)
5 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon flaxmeal
1 teaspoon water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast

Boil water to cook the cubed potatoes, 

once boiling place in potatoes and cook until a knife goes through easily. 

Drain.

Mix the flaxmeal and water together.

 Place potatoes in a bowl and start to mash. 

Add in the spices, flaxmeal, nutritional yeast, and 1 tablespoon flour. 

Add the remaining flour one tablespoon at a time, and mix until a stiff dough forms.

Place some flour on a board, take small amounts of the dough and roll into a 1/2 inch wide log. 

Using a pastry cutter, cut 1/2 inch pieces out of the log.

 Using a fork, roll the 1/2 inch dumplings over the back of the tongs of the fork. 

Place on a floured baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Place in fridge for at least one hour.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place in the potato dumplings. Once they pop up to the surface and float, cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until they become tender. 

While the potatoes are cooking, saute some broccoli with salt and pepper until browned slightly, around 5 minutes. 

Add in a splash of red wine and allow to cook off for a few minutes. 

Add in the tomato sauce. 

Once the gnocchi are done, drain and place in the sauce. 

Allow to cook in the sauce for 5 minutes.

Plate and top with parsley.  

One of the best dinners I have had lately. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment