Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Blue?

Can you eat blue things?

Do they taste like blue?

What does blue actually taste like?

I'm not sure I can answer all of these questions, but I do know that yes you can eat blue things such as potatoes, and they taste like ...dum dum dum...potatoes! Go figure.

I made something amazing for dinner today that I just soo felt the urge to share with all of you. Let's say it can be rather unhealthy to eat, you can get it at base ball games, and well they are just darn amazing! I am talking about chili cheese fries.

How do you make this healthy?

Great question, here is my answer, make all the components (ok except the cheese, unless your amazing and know how) and put it all together yourself. Tada!

For my version, I used blue potatoes, my chili recipe (I made a big batch of it one Sunday for dinner and froze small portions for such an occasion), and reduced fat cheese. Or you can always use vegan cheese. I must say I was once scared of the stuff but then I tried the Dayia brand at a vegetarian restaurant (Kaya's Kitchen in Belmar) and oh my gosh, so good! I just might be taking that step over to the vegan side! Milk that is the next hurtle, I do enjoy soy milk but Milk so yummy! Fat Free of course, but yea my weakness! Ok sorry back to my dinner. So it was pretty easy to make:

Blue Potato Chili Cheese Fries

4 small blue potatoes
1/4 cup chili
1/4 cup reduced fat 4 cheese Mexican blend
1/4 teaspoon each onion powder, coriander, and oregano
1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 teaspoon oil
2 tablespoon salsa

Cube (small piece cook faster!) the potatoes, toss with seasonings and oil and

roast in a preheat 425 degree oven (I used my toaster oven) and roast for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the chili on the stove or if you have a microwave, use that.

Once the potatoes are roasted, top with the chili,

then the cheese and put bake again for 10 minutes, I like my cheese to brown. Place on your plate and top with the salsa.

Amazing!

And it was blue! They truly taste like just regular white Idaho potatoes. Still delish, and I have an even better idea for the rest of the bag of potatoes...blue gnocchi anyone? Yum...

No comments:

Post a Comment