Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Love Cinnamon,

And Chocolate,

And Peanut butter,

And Bananas.

First I want to say sorry that I have not posted in awhile. Excuses, well I have been busy with work and time has not allowed me to explore my recipe making skills, so I haven't had any thing worth posting recently. I did last state that I would be making cinnamon buns to use up the icing I had made for the cup cakes. But do to some unknown  reason the frosting/icing didn't turn out as I expected it to after I let it defrost. It still tasted good, but it became lumpy so I nixed it. And well I stick to my word (loosely but I stick to it!), and I really tried to make a cinnamon bun but my recipe testing was not on my side. Me being me, I like to change things in a recipe to suit my liking. I used the Wonder Buns recipe in the new BabyCakes cookbook. I didn't have any yeast on hand so lucky me there is a yeast free recipe in the book. I also wanted to make a chocolate peanut butter banana version too. So I tried to split the dough and make the two different types. The recipe also called for gluten free baking mix, which I do not have, so I tried to use whole wheat flour instead.

Well, the cinnamon raisin version did not turn out that great, so I made some scones out of them instead, recipe failure adverted, but I still have yet to make a successful cinnamon bun, back to the drawing board with that one. But the chocolate peanut butter banana version worked.

Cinnamon Raisin Scones and Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Swirls

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup arrowroot
1 3/4 teaspoon xanthum gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup agave nectar
3 tablespoons vanilla
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon coffee ground (kahula flavored)
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon oil
1 ripe banana
1 tablespoon peanut butter
extra brown rice flour to prevent sticking while rolling dough

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, line two baking pans with wax paper.

Mix the flours, arrowroot, xanthum gum, baking powder, and the salt together.

Split the mixture into two bowls.

Add the 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon to one bowl and

the cocoa and coffee to the other.

Combine the oil, agave nectar, and vanilla together.

Pour half of that mixture into each bowl.

Slowly add 1/4 cup of warm water to each bowl while you mix the dough together.

It should become a stiff dough that comes together nicely.

Wrap each dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.

Mean while, combine the coconut sugar and the cinnamon together. Mash the banana with the peanut butter.

Once the dough has been chilled, place some of the brown rice flour on a board to start to roll out. (So this is where my cinnamon buns failed, I tried to roll out the dough, place the cinnamon sugar and raisins inside, and roll it up, but it just crumbled. So I then placed it in a bowl and add some water to it.

Mixed it up until a sticky dough formed.

Then I used my hands to pat them down,

I brushed it with oil and sprinked with more cinnamon sugar.

I cut it into 1 inch square-ish scones.)

Place the scones on the prepared pan and bake 25 minutes, turning pan halfway through baking.

For the chocolate pb banana rolls,

 I rolled out the dough,

placed some of the pb banana mix in the center, then I rolled up the dough.

I also scooped up some of the filling at the end so that it would seal closed.

Then cut into 1 inch thick swirls.

Place on prepared pan and bake 20 minutes, turning pan halfway through baking.

Place on a baking rack and let them cool or drizzle with icing and enjoy.

For the icing (that should top these recipes) I used BabyCakes frosting recipe from there first book. I life this recipe because it is really easy to make.

Vanilla Frosting/ Icing

1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
3/4 cup dry soy milk powder
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups coconut oil
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Place all but the oil and lemon juice in a food processor or blender and blend for 2 minutes. Slowly add in the oil and lemon juice alternating the two while the machine is still on. Pour in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 1 month or at room temperature for 1 week.

I then mixed some cocoa powder into the icing to make a chocolate version for the chocolate pb banana swirls.

Yea for my mistakes that turn out to be rather yummy!

What next? I am not entirely sure....



No comments:

Post a Comment