Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

How Do You Say...

Happy Birthday?

With Kahlua Cup Cakes of course!

Is there any other way? Not that I can think of.

For one of my most favorite persons 25th birthday I just had to make these. They totally reminded me of devil dogs! (For those of you who do not what devil dogs are [crazy people you are] they are made by Drakes Cakes, and are just two chocolate cookie-ish cakes with a vanilla cream in the center. They are dry and delicious! Oh how I slightly miss eating those things.) But my cuppy cakes are way better than any store bought, processed food you can buy. So I winged the recipe a bit. I followed a recipe for chocolate stout cup cakes, but made a few changes and yea it worked. I also had a failed attempt at making my favorite frosting, so I used TruWhip instead, which I think makes all cakes taste sooo much better, oh how I <3 the TruWhip! But that also leaves me with vanilla frosting/sauce the must be used up...cinnamon buns anyone? And just to clarify, the frosting just didn't have enough time to set up and use as frosting, it still taste great.

Chocolate Kahlua Cupcakes

3/4 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat white flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Kahlua
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1/3 cup oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Kahlua flavored coffee grounds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners.

Mix the milk and vinegar together.

Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, and salt together.

To the soy milk add in the Kahula, sugar, oil, vanilla, and the coffee.

Add the soy milk to the dry ingredients in two batches.

Fill the liners about 2/3 of the way with the batter. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until they bounce back when touched and a toothpick comes out clean. Also, turn the pan half way during baking.

Top with the TruWhip and vegan chocolate sprinkles.

Tada! Make sure if you have any leftovers, to place them in the fridge and they will last for 5 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment