Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Evil Persimmon

Sounds like a good food filled story, right.

Well, Wrong!

This is a tale of an evil delicious looking persimmon that when I ate it made me feel all funny. It left a chalky feel/taste in my mouth and then preceded to make me get nausea. Evil, yes indeed. They were 2 for $5, so me seeing a nice sale like that and my love for persimmons, I did buy two of these evil ones. (I guess we can blame the evilness on me buying and trying a new type of persimmon and me not knowing the proper way to eat the said new version of persimmon. I proceeded just as I always do with all the other persimmons I have eaten, wrong move. I usually buy a fuyu persimmon while I believe this was a hachiya persimmon.) What to do with this other evil persimmon? Bake with it. Yeah, that should get rid of any evil feelings, yeah, bake it. With what?

Good old momma to the rescue, she bought a bag of fresh cranberries! (Oh joy it is that season again! Love it.) Hum, a persimmon cranberry muffin sounds divine. Let's do it!

So the tale of the evil persimmon ends with one of the most delicious muffins I have ever made! And no revenge of evil persimmons.

Me being me, I made enough for 3 muffins, also because I only had one persimmon. Please use whole wheat white flour for the recipe. For some reason it gives off a cornmeal flavor, not sure why, but hey it works.

Persimmon Cranberry Muffins

1 large hachiya persimmon, very ripe
1/4 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup whole wheat white flour
1 tablespoon flaxmeal
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup water, more if necessary
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray nonstick spray in muffin pans.

Peel the skin off the persimmon (best to do this with a paring knife) and chop, removing the innerness of the persimmon (it's just were the seeds would be, I didn't like the way it looked and it feels tough, so I removed it),

and place in a bowl to mash.

Once the persimmon is mashed add in the oil, flaxmeal, vanilla, honey, salt, arrowroot, and nutmeg, mix.

Add in the flour and baking powder and the cranberries.

Mix, if water is needed to make a moist batter, add in the 1/4 cup in small amounts until desired consistency is reached. Place in prepared pans and bake for 30 minuted, turning pan halfway through baking.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan, then cool completely out of pan.

The persimmons do not mash completely, while eating you sometimes find a piece of persimmon, yum. And with the tartness of the cranberries, yum. Greatest evil persimmon mistake ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment