Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Prep Days...

For Turkey Day! Of course!

So what do you do for Thanksgiving? How do you get ready for it? What food do you eat?

I am one of those vegetarians that do not really like meat substitutes. If I want turkey I would eat turkey, since I do not want it, I do not eat it. Easy as that. So what to eat instead of turkey or a meat substitute?

How about some baked pumpkin falafel, add roasted nuts to your meal, sure eat some tofu or tempeh or seitan, beans beans beans are also a good add to the meal. Me being me, I may choose to add some roasted cashews to my meal. I have tried a few different things through out the years I have been a vegetarian. Some being vegetable stews with corn bread on top one year, on the side the next, once topped with mashed sweet potatoes like a Shepard's pie, and one year just roasted root veggies with corn bread and my favorite cranberry sauce. Then there was last years dinner, which was pretty tasty. (And that also has my cranberry sauce recipe on it.) This year will be sort of the same with some different twists.

I have made two parts of the festive menu items already. Roast carrots, parsnips, and butternut squash (yes I love those veggies and will/can never get enough of them!) and Guinness Pumpkin Beer Bread! Crazy I know! But I sooo cannot wait to try it out. (Yes I am good at making something and not eating it until the day necessary, which can be a bad thing because it could be gosh darn awful and a complete fail or it could be amazing and I eat it all before hand.) I am not completely sure where I got the recipe from it was one of the blogs I follow. But I did make my few usual changes to a recipe.

Guinness Pumpkin Beer Bread

2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup 100% pumpkin
12 oz Guinness

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.

Mix the flours, baking powder, salt, and spices together.

Add in the pumpkin, molasses, and beer, mix until well combined.

Pour into prepared pan and bake 60 to 70 minutes or until firm when touched, turning pan half way trough baking.

It smells amazing while baking!

I also made just a plain beer bread using a Black and Tan.

And I roasted all the veggies:

which I will then reheat for dinner.

And tomorrow I will be making my dessert so it will be even better and freshly out of the oven! It is going to be a grape and cranberry crisp! Yum I know. I found the recipe/idea from Fragrant Vanilla Cake site. Can't wait.

Wow I have added so many links to this post.

I will be posting my version of the recipe either tomorrow or Friday along with pictures of my dinner plate!

Happy Thanksgiving all!! No food comas people! Eat safe haha!

Oh and remember to put any left overs in the fridge after you are done eating dinner, try not to let them sit out on the table too long, it can cause you some problems the next time you go to eat them. Don't wait any longer than an hour after eating. The danger zone it not to be messed with people!!

<3



No comments:

Post a Comment