Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Copy Cat

I like this one salad at Whole Foods, well I thought I did but when I had it again I wasn't that big on it this time around. I found it too sour like they put vinegar in it. It could have been because I let it sit awhile or maybe the other stuff I put with it mixed together, maybe. I normally really like the Turkish Eggplant Salad. Mainly because it has potatoes in it!! So this time around I wrote down what the ingredient card said was in it to make it at home. (Because I tried to search for the recipe on the whole foods site without much luck, besides I am horrible at searching for things on the internet.) So I bought myself a medium sized potato and a medium eggplant and got to work.

This is what the card told me was in their version: eggplant, tomato, garlic, olive oil, cilantro, lemon juice, cumin salt, paprika, chili flakes, potatoes. (To be honest I didn't really reread this before I made mine, perhaps that was good, but next time I may add some of the spices I forgot to this time.) The potatoes they have in the salad are intresting. I can't tell if the roast them or fry them or boil them, not sure. So I decied to roast mine. I like roasted potatoes and I figured that would add an extra crunch and depth of flavor to the dish. And their eggplant is soft and not browned to I figured they either saute it or stem it? So I went with saute.

My Eggplant Potato Salad

1 medium sized potato (I used an Idaho)
1/2 medium eggplant or 1 small one
1 large roasted red pepper
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
parsley, cilantro, or lemon basil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (or toaster oven to 450 degrees.)

Cut the potato into 1/2 inch cubes. Toss with the onion, oregano, salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of the oil.

Place on a baking sheet and roast until nicely browned, about 30 to 40 minutes. (I tried to take a pic of the browned potatoes but thats when my battires died and I forgot to retake it sorry.)

Cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes to match the potatoes.

Heat a saute pan with rest of oil (I think I used only like 1 teaspoon and of walnut oil). Cook the eggplant until the start to brown. Add in the cumin and a little bit of salt and pepper. Cut the red pepper to match the sizes of the other veggies.

Add to the pan.

Then add in the potatoes. Add in the herd of choice. Serve!

I really liked it. Next time I may add some paprika to the potatoes before I roast them and maybe add some tomatoes after all the ingredients are cooked so they don't really cook. Other then that delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment