Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hummingbirds

Have got to be the cutest, prettiest, most interesting birds ever. They have pretty colors. Those wings move so fast, oh this is a food blog, right.

Hummingbird cake (now that's more like it) sounded different to me. And it has become rather popular in the blog world. A friend of mine made some hummingbird cupcakes for a get together and that got my wheels turning. I want to make some of these. But what will I change? Haha. Sad that that is my first thought. I do love bananas in baked goods, so how about uber ripe ones so I can add less sugar, first change. Second, fresh pineapple, yes, and I used walnuts instead of the usual pecans. Well actually I have seen either nut used in many of the recipes I looked up. Third, honey for the sweetness no sugar. How did they turn out?

Delish!

Hummingbird MufCakes

1 1/2 cups whole wheat white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (yes I did use only a teaspoon, crazy I know)
3 large ripe bananas
1/2 cup chopped pineapple
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey or agave
3 tablespoons flaxmeal
3 tablespoons water
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cupcake pan with nonstick spray or line with liners. (I needed to also spray 3 mini cake pans for the left over batter or just make 6 more cupcakes.)

Combine flaxmeal with water.

Mix the dry ingredients.

Mash the bananas, add in the pineapple and any juice, oil, vanilla, honey, and flax eggs.

Mix until all the flour is moist,

fold in the walnuts.

Fill the pan about 2/3 of the way full.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes, turning pans halfway during baking. Done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes, remove from pan and cool completely.

Now lets talk frosting. Usually a cream cheese frosting tops hummingbird cupcakes. But I was thinking either some coconut manna or cinnamon cashew butter frosting.


Cinnamon Cashew Butter "Frosting"
2 tablespoons cashew butter (I used store bought)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (bring it on, feel free to use less)
1-2 tablespoon milk of choice (I used about 2 because my cashew butter has been in the fridge for a little while)
Mix everything together.

Whats with the mufcakes? Well These can be eaten either with or without frosting hence the muffin or cupcake mufcake!

I love summer time cause I get to eat salads!! (Not like I don't eat them year round.)
Bring it on summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment