Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Poppies Poppies

Oh the Wizard of Oz!

But for real no flowers but poppy seeds. And lemon. I was never a big fan of lemon flavored things. I liked it as a salad dressing but never wanted my sweets to have that tangy citrus flavor. Not until recently that is. With all the orange juice flavored things I have been making such as my Cinnarange Donuts or my version of Fruitcake. With those why not try something lemon flavored? I did just that!!

Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts


1 cup whole wheat white flour
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanhum gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon flaxmeal
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (I used Lakewood bottled I know crazy I didn't juice them myself. Use 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup water for less lemony flavor)
1 teaspoon lemon extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray donut pans with nonstick spray.

Mix the flaxmeal and water together to form your flax egg and let it stand for a few minutes.
Combine the dry ingredients together.

Mix in the lemon juice, extract and flax egg.

Place in a zippy bag, cut off one of the corners, and pipe into the prepared pan.
Bake 16 to 20 minutes, depending of what size pan you used.

Top with your favorite glaze or coconut manna!

Haha! So many DONUTS!!!!!!!!!!! Yum!! My favorite by far are the cinnamon orange, carob is a close second, and I need to play with the lemon poppy recipe. They were very lemony.

Oh so for dinner I made some Cheezey Hummus. All I did was add nutritional yeast to the usual hummus stuff: chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, pepper, cumin, and coriander. I added a little water to make it super smooth.

Good eats today for sure.
Brown rice tortillas, bacon roasted chick peas, roasted shrooms, yellow and green peppers, black olives, 4 cheese mexican blend (reduced fat of course) and salsa. Sooo good!!

Next...hum.... I'm thinking of trying hummingbird cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment