Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hashtag

#sweet potato spinach hash

Oh the joys of current social media.

I have been wanting to make a sweet potato hash for a while now but just haven't gotten around to it, until now. Most people peel their sweet potatoes but did you know that you do not have to. The skin on most veggies and fruits (the edible ones) have more nutrients then the actual flesh or "meat" of the veg or fruit. So eat more skin! Just make sure you wash it. When I was taking cooking classes some of the people in class skipped this step, please don't, I don't care if it is getting cooked, its just gross.  Sorry for my little rant. Anyway, hash. I really like greens and have been lacking them in my diet for the past two weeks or so, I'm eating as much as I can.

Sweet Potato Spinach Hash

1 medium or two baby sweet potatoes, cubed
2 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup chestnuts, chopped or hazelnuts, pecans, cashews, your favorite
1/8 teaspoon each salt, pepper, coriander, nutmeg, allspice
1 teaspoon walnut oil or olive oil

Heat a saute pan, add in the potatoes and some water to just cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and let all the water boil off. (Funny my mom sees me doing this and asked, "What would you call this cooking technique? Pan boiling.? haha)

Once all the water is gone, add in the spices and oil and chestnuts.

Add in the spinach, slowly so that is starts to wilt.

Heat through, add in more water if any sticking occurs, then just let the water cook out. I did do this to get all the spices and starch that came off the potatoes to add it back to the whole dish.

You may be thinking, no cinnamon? I thought about it but went with nutmeg and allspice to still give that lovely spice goodness taste but not to over powering spice flavor. Plus nutmeg pairs well with greens, not so sure cinnamon would have gone to nicely, I know I would love the combo, but its not always just about me. I also happen to really like chestnuts. Especially when they are on sale because the season is over (holiday season when we see them so available). They add a nice sweetness to the dish but hazelnuts would have been my first choice, I just didn't have any on hand. I need to make a Trader Joe's run to stock up on my nuts, but can't until I get some tax refunds back. Oh and I bet kale would have been just as good as spinach in this dish. Next time I get some purple potatoes I might try making a hash out of them, fun!

Oh and remember that breakfast I have been so addicted to lately, I really should have been taking more pics of it because I have also made cinnamon raisin peanut butter with apples and cinnamon peanut butter with mango and oranges. Strange but sooo good. I'm now out of all my nut butters so I have to come up with a new breakfast until I restock.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment