Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

What is Too Much Cinnamon?

Is there such a thing as too much? I think not!!

Before I start I first want to say thank you all so much for reading my last entry. I really took a leap putting my story out there and it was really welcomed so thank you all for the support!

Back to cinnamon... we all know I have a passion (not just love) for the spice. I have been probably going a little over board on it lately.

I had made cinnamon raisin bread a few weeks ago (I meant to post the recipe for the bread but never got around to that sorry) it was just like some bread recipes i have posted in the past. Just this had a 10 grain breakfast hot cereal added to the mix to make it really whole grain! Lots of spice, even more from the cinnamon raw honey, and golden raisins. The real reason I never posted the recipe for the bread is because I didn't write down the recipe as I was making it thinking oh I'll do it soon enough that I will remember what I did. Ha nope! My bad.

What does one eat on or with cinnamon raisin bread? Well peanut butter sandwiches are great on the bread or how about with some butternut squash soup?

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

1 cup roasted squash (I had frozen some from when I roasted some squash in anticipation of making the soup.
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or broth
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, coriander, and ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, cloves, allspice, salt and pepper

Heat the squash (mine was still frozen) in a sauce pan.

Add in the spices to let them heat up and bring out their flavors.

Add in the stock and let it heat up. Either place the soup into a blender, food processor, or using a hand blender- blend the soup until smooth.

Place back on the heat and let the soup simmer. You may need to add more stock in depending on how thick you want the soup to be.

Just to start my days off lately I have been having cinnamon in the morning too! Yay! I mix a nut butter (1 1/2 tablespoons) of choice with a mashed ripe banana and lots of cinnamon! I mean lots, probably a tablespoon plus. And then I cut up an apple and dip the apple in the cinnamon mix. So good. So far I have tried making it with every nut butter I have had in my pantry like almond, cashew, and peanut. My favorites are either almond and cashew. I made up this breakfast because I found some almond butter that was going to expire (or perhaps it had already and I refused to toss it, it was only a week or so expired) so I made up a quick eat and fell in love with it. I've been eating it for the past few weeks now for breakfast.

Thanks again for the love and support!!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment